Friday, March 10, 2006

Food - Sarikei Ding Bian Hu

Ding Bian Hu - chef at work. Check out the menu.
Lee Yuen kopitiam 荔园茶室, Payang Puri block. 


Ding Bian Hu 鼎边糊 is made of gluey rice flour cooked around the rim of the wok. It is broken into big pieces of flat noodles before they are plunged into piping hot broth made from meaty bones. It's then garnished with cuttlefish, black fungus, deep fried shallots, pepper and vinegar. If you pay more for a richer broth, you'll get an egg.

In 1960 the original Ding Bian Hu hawker stall started operating from the food hawker area at the Rex cinema location. In 1964 when the land there was allocated for building Rex, it moved to the Rejang River wharf Terminal 1 area together with other stalls that sold delicious kueh and soya bean drink. The Ding Bian Hu stall was owned by an old lady and her sons. People sat on humble benches and slurped in the food while the Sarikei-Sibu express boats horned for their last passengers.


Ding Bian Hu & Kopi - the final fanstasy




Several stalls sell it including the newer kopi tiam at Sarikei-Kuching express bus terminal. This stall, Lee Yuen, is from this original stall by the Rejang River terminal 1. Lee Yuen is at the 1st shop at the opposite end of Payang Puri Hotel. I had to dig out the two small pieces of cuttlefish to position them for the kodak moment.


12 comments:

Chen said...

I used to eat "Ting Bian Hu" in this hawker stall each time I go back home to Sarikei :)
The price has gone up with time.
If i didn't remember wrongly, the price during the early days when I eat "Ting Bian Hu" is something like 70 cents or ?? Can't remember the exact figure.

I guess Sarikei folks are not used to see people taking photos of food (whereby this is common in bigger cities).

Daniel Yiek said...

Chen => I saw one other stall that's more expensive that the menu prices shown in the pic.

G Wong said...

To confirm, this is certainly the son of the original stall holder by the river you mentioned. I use to eat at his mum's stall and cost 20 or 30 cents. Even though I am alway for 20 years now I can still recall the look of his mum.

E Ting said...

Oh dear me, I am feeling so homesick now especially after reading the passage about the original stall along the riverside. Back in the early 80's, my classmates and I were frequent customers of the stall. In those days, you could simply ride 'n park right at the doorstep. There were no fanciful ingredients like now except for the cuttlefish, but it was nonetheless a real treat to enjoy. Thanks for rekindling those memories!!

Anonymous said...

This food makes me think about the kampua mee...maybe should start some business promoting Sarikei's specialities.

Cindy Wong.

Daniel Yiek said...

G Wong, E Ting, Cindy:
Ha!! Looks like we all love the local makan.

Anonymous said...

That man have been cooking Ting bian Hu for more tha 20 years. Just remember his face ....Have not change much.

ront said...

his brother is still operating near the bus station abt 250m away from this coffee shop

Gin said...

yea...my family used to frequent his mom's stall at the wharf, on sunday after mass. a regular bowl cost 40 cents, my time. this guy's brother also sang during the CNY singing competitions!

willchua said...

Is this the coffee shop near Hong Leong Bank?

Daniel Yiek said...

Will
It is at the 1st shop at the opposite end of Payang Puri Hotel block.

Anonymous said...

When i see the Ding Bian Hu, my tear fall down suddenly, its remind my grandmother which she always brought me to the same coffee shop for the Ding Bian Hu breakfast and i always order big bowl, its should be more 25 years ago, my lovely grandma, left us on 1990, my god my tear keep falling down....its was,it is and ite will be good food...

Related Posts with Thumbnails