reader found this undated gem in his family album. Let's put on our thinking caps to determine the date.
- Starting from the river, observe that there's no godown to the left of Wharf Terminal 1
- There's no bus terminal to the right of the fish market and the small kopitiam next to the fish market.
- Land had been cleared to build the "new" blocks for Payang Puri hotel & its adjacent blocks and also the blocks around Ah Kow's "new" restaurant which were completed around 1972-1973
- Land had been cleared to build Nyelong Park. Can anyone remember when the first few blocks of Nyelong Park was completed in the early 1970s? 1973?
- There were several neat government quarters completed for some lucky civil servants.
- The old Nyelong River ferry was in operation in the river!
My vote is for the year circa 1970 because it took at least 2 years to complete the Payang Puri "new" blocks which were up around 1972-73. You could only develop colour photos in Sarikei around 1972-1973 and this picture is in black and white. Do you agree? Do you dream in colours? What is the colour of your Sarikei dream?