nother awesome photo (undated) was unearthed by a reader from an old magazine. Is this from the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's? Let's do our detective work.
- No new Sarikei Wharf Terminal 1 or 2 buildings => ruled out 1990s
- No go-down building to the left of Terminal 1 (in front of the Wharf Road shops)
- A cargo terminal was been built (near the bus terminal)
- The clock tower was tick tocking away without the pineapple statue => post 1974
- Cars were parked in 2 rows (one in each direction) => ruled out 1960s. 1970s.
- Block 3 Right (counting from Rejang River), Repok Rd, was still in business (burned down in 1990) => before 1990
- The basketball stadium still had echoes of basketball dribbling => ruled out 2000s
- The Cathay cinema was still showing pictures
- The 1974 stage for Governor Birthday Celebration was up at the padang (opposite Cathay)
- The 1987 Civic Centre was not built yet on the padang (field)
- The Payang Puri hotel and the adjacent Berjaya Road's 2 blocks were completed => post 1974
- The Ngiu Kee supermarket and the adjacent new blocks were not built yet
- The bus terminal (next to the fish market) did not have a roof yet => ruled out 2000s
- The 2-storeyed hawker centre next to the bus terminal was under construction (completed in 1981)
- The new shops at opposite the 2-storeyed hawker centre were not built yet
- The new shops opposite Methodist Church were not built yet
- The mechanic repair shops opposite Rex cinema had 2 buses parked for repairs.
The conclusion? This picture was taken after 1974 in the 1970s. The biggest clue is the 2-storeyed hawker centre that's under construction (completed in 1981). Is there a reader familiar with that area and time frame? Put on your detective hats!