Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Scenes - Sarikei Rejang River Wharf Boat 1930

Sarikei Rejang River Wharf, 2005
Terminal 1
Source: Mike Yip



Remember those "before and after" pictures of transformation used in beauty and slimming advertisements? Well, above is after the transformation in 1990s with bullet shaped express boats. What did a boat look like in the 1930s? Scroll down ...


Sarikei Rejang River Wharf, 1930
Click to enlarge. Click Back Arrow to come back.
Source: Sarikei Cantonese Association 122th Anniversary Issue, Dec 2007


This Chinese junk should be berthed at the old wharf at the current customs house opposite Block 4 of Wharf Road (next to the current police station). It's probaly used to trade sago from the Mukah area. The label on this picture reads something like SAGO SAC*OMER or SAC*ONER (or is it SAC*ONEK?). What's your take on this label?

6 comments:

sarawakiana said...

I would like to follow this interesting link up....schooner?

That's a beautiful photo in your collection. Congratulations.

Daniel Yiek said...

Sarawakian,
I think you are right. I suspect this is a spelling mistake on the written label. "A" is actually "H" and he/she spelt it wrongly as SACOONER or SHCOONER. Should be SCHOONER.

I tried translating schooner to Dutch, Portuguese and Spanish. Does not help the spelling.

sarawakiana said...

This afternoon I tried to compare all the historical photos of schooners and I believe I am right too....

I will ask my Dutch friend for the Dutch word for schooner.

Most American ships were schooners in the 1850-1900.....because of the sails and later when steam engines came about the sails continued to be used. Schooners had at least two or three sails especially one in the front and one at the back.

Daniel Yiek said...

Sarawakian,

The Dutch translation is "schoener" using the google tool below

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

MECHIPPIE said...

GOOD I HAVE JUST FOUND YOU WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE CO.OP MA BY THE NAME OF PETER GOULLART, I HAVE BEEN READING HIS BOOKS FOR SOME TIME AT THE MOMENT HE HAS JUST ARRIVED INYOUR AREA.
MARGARET,,,ENGLAND

Daniel Yiek said...

Margaret
Sorry, I dont know anything about Peter Goullart and I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to

Related Posts with Thumbnails