Cantonese entrepreneur, contractor and kapitan, 邱炳浓 Khoo Peng Loong, completed the Bank Road block in 1946. Each shop unit cost MYR$16,000. (source: Reader Lidasar).
Can we find out the year of this rare undated picture below? The paint of the shophouses had started to run near the roof so this was likely a few years after the 1946 completion. The last 2 shops were not repainted. This was likely to be in the 1950s, agree? Did Bank Road look like this in the 1960s?
The removable swinging wooden doors of the shops were tied to the shop front pillars. That was before the days of metal doors and grills in the 1970s. Find the popular bicycles. Check out the balcony (now gone) of the old Eastern Cafe at No.1 Bank Road. The pattern of the balcony was formed with 4 hearts.
Was Bank Road barricaded then to prevent cars from driving through? What was the purpose of that huge drum on a wooden platform on the right?
The old vegetables and meat market was busy. Meat was sold at the corner of the market facing the current Payang Puri Hotel. Merdeka Road between the Bank Road block and the market had hawker stalls and was a popular place for cock fighting contests.
Find the old kampung (Malay village) with its swaying coconut palms at the location of the current bus station terminal.
Isn't this a lovely picture?