In the 1950's, the Chinese Chamber of Commerce under the leadership of Chen Ko Ming made use of a piece of land beside their building to build a basketball court in 1956. The original court was open air without roofing and the seats were only built on one side (the side with the back facing the padang). In the early 1960s, Mr. Leong Ming Teck 梁 明 德 started a donation drive to construct a stadium with roofing. With the support of the public, the stadium was constructed next to the Chamber of Commerce in 1962-1963 in time for the inaugural Kwang Lee Bank Inter-District cup.
Click to enlarge. Click back arrow to come back
Can anyone narrow down the year?
No basketball stadium yet
In this undated rare picture, that looks like an open air basketball court next to the 1940 Chamber of Commerce. The store of No. 1 Wharf Road (Thong Aik 通益) next to the Chamber of Commerce can be seen in the background.
Basketball was the hottest sports then. Do you want to play ball?