For those who slept through the disaster, the print versions of the morning newspapers greeted them with front page news of the tongues of fire. A historic block of 6 shops of 15 businesses was reduced into ashes.
The area is now cordoned off for safety reasons. You can see from the fire yesterday that curious onlookers stayed quite close to the fire. If there were a lot of cooking gas tanks stored inside this block (for example some sundry shops may keep the tanks for sale), it could have been very dangerous. It does not mean that when there's a crowd there watching so close by, it's safe for you to follow the herd.
The rumour that is going around town is that the fire was started by an electric fault but that's just a rumour. The cause of the torching is not for us to speculate. The insurance companies will of course do their due diligence on the actual cause and act accordingly.
All pictures below are from Albert Chua.