Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Food: Sarikei Bank Road's Mee Sup Tulang: No bones to pick

Sarikei sup tulang, 2011
Bones after boiling.
Wang Wang Cafe 旺旺
No. 1 Bank Road


When you walk along the old block of Bank Road shop house that was built in 1946 after World War II, don't forget to peer into the traditional shops there before they are gone. No. 1 Bank Road was formerly Eastern Cafe 東方茶室 before it changed owners to be become Wang Wang Cafe 旺旺.


Sarikei sup tulang, 2011
Wang Wang Cafe 旺旺
No. 1 Bank Road
View towards Rejang wharf terminal 1


That day I was not there to find out more of its history. My senses was lured by the aroma of spices as I walked past. I asked a table of Malays about the noodles they were savouring. I found that it was mee sup tulang (beef rib soup noodle) and they gave me the thumbs up. I ordered the MYR$4 noodle and it was ready in no time because the soup was already prepared in advance.



Sarikei sup tulang, 2011
Wang Wang Cafe 旺旺
No. 1 Bank Road


The soup was thick with the amazing flavour of bone marrow derived from boiling of the bones. There was a generous amount of lean meat and some tendons in the soup infused with aromatic spices. I don't have their secret recipe but a typical sup tulang will have the four favourite Malay spices of cardamom, star anise, cinnamon and clove. You can also buy pre packaged spice pack in muslin bags. You may add parsley, shallot, garlic and ginger into your recipe. The noodles was cut to facilitate easy picking with a fork.

I don't know whether this is the best mee sup tulang in Sarikei but there's no bone of contention that this was simply delicious. I had no bone to pick on this choice for lunch while watching the hustle and bustle of the Rejang wharf terminal 1.

Related Posts with Thumbnails